Sign in to follow this  
Sky

Let's Talk about Videogames

Sky    7

So obviously posting on Zyphun or (being on the internet really) means you are 80% more likely to have played at least one videogame in your life, if not outright being an avid gamer. Made-up percentages. 

I have been playing videogames as early as the age of six, I remember my first game being NES classics like Mario and Duck Hunt. The fact that I could shoot stuff on the screen with a handheld real life plastic gun felt so surreal and futuristic to me. I played a lot in my childhood, moving from the NES to the Playstation system. When I first played Driver 2 and Spider-man on the PS1 I was mindblown with the 3D graphics, I was young so I couldn't tell that cgi weren't real-time as well. The PS2 was probably my favorite console, and the one that greatly affected my creativity as a kid.

I also played a lot of PC games, but at that time I used to think that console games beat PC ruthlessly, unfortunately I wasn't exposed to great games like the Elder Scrolls, Warcraft or even Doom until later when I turned 14. Ever since my first playthrough of Doom I instantly became an addicted and passionate gamer, watching gaming tv shows, internet articles on the newest leaks or even magazines (remember those?). 

I'm currently 22, studying Architecture, but I still dedicate much of my time for all things videogames. That includes playing said games, watching videos, reading reviews or making my own content and trying to learn Unity and game development. 

Here is some starter questions to kickoff the thread:

What about you? what is your story with videogames? what is your favorite? Did it affect you negatively, positively, or neither? If you had kids would you introduce them to it? Do you consider ipad games and apps like candy rush as genuine videogames? How much money did you spend on your CD's and Steam keys?

Also about it affecting me, videogames did take a lot of my time during my highschool year, but I still got to study and ace the GPA. In reality videogames taught me many things, like improving my english vocabulary, introducing me to creative writing, and inspiring me to draw every day.  

Zyphun    10

I just love video games. I always have I think the first game I played was called "Land Before Time" and it was on like windows 98 lol. 

I feel like my gaming has effected me positively because it has inspired me to create this community to produce games of our own! 

Nick    18

My story of video games began with the classics as well. I'm a 99s kid, so I was never around to experience the release of the Genesis, NES, SNES, etc. However, that never stopped my dad from introducing me to the older games. I got a CD filled with arcade classics like Commando, Ghosts n' Goblins, 1942, and 2 more I think. 

It's crazy, because now people are saying that Ghosts n' Goblins is one of the hardest games ever made, and I played that as a kid! Never beat it of course.

I think everything in moderation is good. Back in the day I definitely played games too much. However, when just the right amount is applied, it's great. It teaches quick critical thinking, trains your reactions, and improves hand-eye coordination. I would in fact introduce my kids to games, and perhaps maybe even the same ones I played as a kid. iPad games are great n all, but they aren't what I want my kids playing. I'll buy them a desktop computer. So if they want to play games, I'll let them go on the desktop. But it's not portable, so whenever we go out I don't want to be forced to let them play games. Kids need an imagination and independence too you know!

When it comes to CDs, my dad usually bought those, and my Steam library probably isn't too expensive. I don't have too many games on it because there's only a few that I enjoy playing. I don't need 1000000000 games, I just need a couple I like.

• Like 1

Sky    7

People say Contra is one of the hardest games ever, yet me and my brother beat that shit at an early age. Now however, if I were to pick it up I doubt I will get past that gate turret boss. 

Zyphun    10
On 6/6/2017 at 0:54 PM, Sky said:

People say Contra is one of the hardest games ever, yet me and my brother beat that shit at an early age. Now however, if I were to pick it up I doubt I will get past that gate turret boss. 

Its easy for a kid who has nothing better to do all day but get better at the game to beat it. lol since you haven't played in a long time it would probably be really hard again yah :P